View Single Post
Old 2008-07-18, 16:10   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My son went to a midnight showing, just got back (he's 18). He says its of the best and yet most disturbing movies he's seen -- and he'd preemptively smack any parents he saw taking anyone under 16 to see it. He's not even sure he was quite ready for it and he sits blithely through movies like "300", "Hellboy 2", "Clockwork Orange", and slasher-horror flicks. It even gave him unpleasant dreams

Quote:
Chris Nolan's Dark Knight, I daresay, far surpasses Tim Burton's version. Tim Burton was chiefly responsible for laying the groundwork that turned Batman into campy idiocy. Chris Nolan rescued the franchise from that ignoble fate.
Actually.... Burton was responsible for moving Batman far away FROM campy idiocy if you'll recall the 1960's Batman tv series. He put an edge to The Batman that mainstream audiences had never realized existed. yeah, it was still a bit campy (after all --- crazy people in costumes). Mostly it was incredibly bad directing and writing that sent the series into fiery doom in the last few movies. In my mind at least, Nolan, Bale, and Ledger accomplished the rest of what Burton's original vision set the franchise towards. These characters are now what they should be... really scary psychopaths, good or evil