View Single Post
Old 2011-11-17, 05:53   Link #2276
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I hate grades. Grades are pretentious. They strive to enforce a subjective number as "factual". At least when you say "I enjoyed it" it's just a honest opinion. It's a lot easier to decipher too, what with grading being so random and personlized that only the one grading actually knows for sure what B means; for example.
I find your post dissatisfying and unamusing. I give it an F, 1/10!

In all seriousness, I think you're missing the point of ratings. Yes it is very personalized, but when you are reading someone else's post who you share opinions with often in entertainment, his or her metrics used will help you gauge how much he/she enjoyed it so that you can see how much you'd probably enjoy it as well.

So he gave series X a 10/10, but series Y a 6/10, and I've typically liked anime he's liked in the past so I'd trust that the 10/10 series is the one I'm more likely to enjoy.

Ratings rather than being some sort of label for the series I think should be interpreted more as quantifiers of people's opinions. When someone rates something higher than they usually do, or lower than they usually do, then that indicates that a series is doing something good or bad in their own view. If you don't share someone else's opinion typically, then their rating almost never means anything to you, and of course it won't act as a sufficient label for anything.

Basically, it's not pretentious to give out a personal rating for something. It however would be pretentious to assume that your opinion would hold for everybody. So while I am finding that Guilty Crown is quite the mediocre series for various reasons I have explained, and while I have given a low rating to the series, I don't expect people to share my views on it, nor should they if they enjoy it without running into the problems I have in trying to enjoy it.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote