View Single Post
Old 2012-01-03, 10:48   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think one of the things that became apparent early on (at least for me) was that the Holy Grail War as we know of it never happened. So no magi slaughtering each other generation after generation for a chance at a wish. Heck, the only hint we have of it was that the Einzberns had a massive ritual planned, but it never materialized, which explains why among the magi community Ilya's family is considered very obscure.

And since there's no Grail War, Ilya's fate as a grail holder never came to pass as well. It's one of those things that made Kuro angry at Ilya to begin with, as her 'destiny', as it were, never came to pass.
I read chapter 10 of 2wei again and you're right, it doesn't seem like a Holy Grail War has ever taken place in this universe. Rin said the Einzbersn cut all ties with other magi family and that there were only rumors they had a large-scale ritual planned. However, seemingly nothing ever happened and nobody has heard from them in ten years. I think the main difference with the F/SN timeline is that the Einzberns never asked the Makiris and the Tohsakas for help, hence it took them 200 more years to complete the ritual. And right when they were finally ready to start it (or maybe a few moments after they started it)... Kiritsugu slaughtered them.

I don't think the ritual they came up with was all that different from the Holy Grail War we are familiar since Iris did use the word "war" to describe it.