Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei
Last Exile
Le Chevalier d'Eon
Macross - Do You Remember Love? movie
Liar Game (live action)
Paranoia Agent
Perfect Blue

Half of the titles I've listed are retro titles. The other half are from the last 10 years but are titles in a style different from the norm to what anime has been lately (you listed Guin Saga, so I dared to list some in that vein). I've tried to limit my list to series wtih more of a value on character + their relationships and ones that offer some food for thought in a moral or social sense (kudos to you for liking Now and Then, Here and There) and a couple that are a bit more on the fun side but still have the focus you want. I've included the Liar Game live action because it fits a great deal of criteria that you listed. I am normally not into live actions at all but Liar Game is my one exception.

Hope you find some titles out of those that you like. Have fun.
Thanks!
I've already watched following eps of that list:
Monster (was ok)
Galaxy Express 999 (Didn't like)
Rose of Versailles (Forgot what it was about)
Space Battleship Yamato (Added to my 'to watch list', and definitely a Classic)
Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars (nice ep!)
Future Boy Conan (that almost seems like a 50's anime, instead of an '80's, have watched it 3/4)
Beast Slayer Erin (I believe I watched the japanese version of it, very good anime indeed, very relaxing!)
Serial Experiments Lain (watched a few eps, didn't like it very much).
Haibane Renmei (watched a good 10 eps, didn't really like where it was going, a bit boring)
Last Exile (I believe I've seen this ep, though can't remember a thing of it anymore)
Le Chevalier d'Eon (only watched the first 2 or 3 eps, but was very bored with it)
Macross - Do You Remember Love? movie (loved the macross series, all of them)

Liar Game (live action) (haven't watched it, sorry to say, but, generally Japanese acting sucks quite much, so I won't watch it).

So added to the 'to watch'-list:
Kimagure Orange Road
Kino's Journey
Paranoia Agent
Perfect Blue
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote