View Single Post
Old 2011-05-29, 21:24   Link #53
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, TT certainly was an example of reeling the audience in and torturing them to the end. And this show has done a good job of muddying the romantic waters, giving everybody a bone to gnaw on. As Kaoru said, this ep could easily be interpreted as setting up a scenario where Ohana and Kou each have their love tested by older co-workers - a necessary step to make them appreciate what they'd taken for granted, how much they love each other. But that's only one interpretation.

Thing is, though, romance was the very essence of TT - it was what that show was all about. This series is about personal growth, specifically Ohana growing up. Kou, Tohru and Minchi are primarily important as catalysts for that, not as part of a romance drama. I also suspect that Mari Okada is much less involved in the nuts and bolts of scripting this series than TT. I wouldn't be surprised if there are no pairings in the end at all, but even if there are I don't expect them to be at the heart of events as they (necessarily) were in TT.

Heck, I could even see this show pulling a Zettai Shounen and moving the whole thing back to the city for the second arc. Probably not that extreme, but while I'm nowhere near confident of where the show is going I do feel sure that both Kou and Ohana-mama have major roles to play in this series, and I can't see them being completely remote to the action for all that time.