View Single Post
Old 2009-07-29, 02:19   Link #295
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaz2 View Post
From what I've read, the first arc of Higurashi seemed better done than the first of Umineko's, adaption wise. They cut a lot of character development and emotion out of Umineko's first arc so far, while Higurashi's was left MOSTLY intact.

But Umineko on the whole has a lot less 'filler' scenes like Higurashi's club games.

It's mostly the later arcs that get a LOT of complaining about being a bad adaption for Higurashi.
On the whole, yeah I agree with you that Umineko serves less 'cutworthy' content than Higurashi, because most of the club games serve as foreshadowing and hinting towards later events and are in general not needed in an anime which reaches this point only 2 maybe 3 episodes later.

Yet so far Umineko didn't skip anything that I would call being of major importance. Most of the characters individual stance was either explained or at least implied, in a modern cinema adaption of a novel there is no more room for such things either. At least here we've got the visual and accustical layer, which can help deliver.

And about the first Higurashi arc, yes...while it was an interesting adaption in itself, it was in no way true to it's original source. It mostly ripped every nearly scary scene from a mystery/investigation novel's first chapter, turned the volume up by 50% and made it a full blood horror anime.
While I agree that Onikakushi in the anime is good and I find it as much entertaining as the VN (and it by far not as painfull to sit through), it is in no way a good representation of the VN, it was a very liberal adaption.