View Single Post
Old 2012-09-27, 22:18   Link #788
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
1) It was a compliment.
2) I don't much like a "monarch" in a state with strong ties with any "religion", that's like double backwards for me.

3) That stereotype being said, I like the king of Jordan. He's always a great figure to look up to whenever he's on air.
Unlike... say, the monarch of Saudi, with the double-tongue of theirs.
1) Clearly so. But you're basically pointing up how unusual he is for a muslim leader, a statement which while has a little bit of truth especially for the last 3 years, implies few possibilities regarding your opinion about Islamic world, most of which are dangerously near the racist line. I'm sure you didn't mean it, but I thought this kind of mistake is quite easy for someone like you to avoid.

2) Jacobinism isn't exactly modern either. And yes, monarchy and religion can live side by side and even synthesize with democracy and liberal secularism.

3) Jordan is definitely an example of a better Arab country. Hashemites came from Hejaz, that part of Arabian peninsula where Mecca is located. Its strategic location, which connects them to Middle East's major urban centers. has granted them the tradition of better political sophistication compared to those that originate from the deep deserts of Nejd like the Saudis, which are now regretting their contract with Iblis.

(Yes, many in the Saudi clan are now regretting their alliance with Wahabbist ulemas. The current Saudi king is actually a reformist [if still a willing autocrat], and his recent declaration for expanding women's suffrage proved to be quite a far leap for Saudi standard)

Last edited by Ridwan; 2012-09-27 at 22:54.