Thread: Licensed Kaichou wa Maid-sama [Manga]
View Single Post
Old 2010-05-16, 19:35   Link #79
LordDemon
Yami no Ou

In the interest of my time and for the sake of not turning this topic into a war of words between three passionate fans of Maid-sama, I'll refrain from explicating the bulk of my view points or clarifying my stance on this current discussion, but I will say this much:

For the most part, as I've read through these messages, I've been inclined to agree with you, Mentar, and write off a lot of Sol's complaints as being nit-picky (which is saying something, considering how nit-picky I am with Maid-sama myself), but as far as this particular line of discussion is concerned, I don't think you could be further from correct and I think Sol actually managed to hit the bull's eye for this episode.

A lot of Usui's characterization was completely bungled, and I feel his aggressiveness was portrayed far more negatively than it was in the manga counterpart, particularly the scene the anime saw fit to cut out and lightly insert into the locker room scene instead.

The normal ending to their tiffs is Misaki being rendered to tears or frustrated? Excuse me? As someone who's likely read every major chapter at least 15 times, I am absolutely perplexed as to where you pulled that crazy bit of misinformation from. The only correct description of Misaki's reactions during their NORMAL spats is embarrassment, since issues of love are things she's still new to and has trouble expressing in a honest way.

But tears and frustration?

For the sake of my aforementioned time and not delving into spoilers, I'm not going to dig any deeper. But Sol is absolutely correct. There are only a few moments where Misaki is genuinely upset with him, and let's not employ the juvenile tactic of obfuscating what the term includes and excludes, as it's pretty self-explanatory. In most cases, Misaki's "angry reactions" are simply embarrassed reactions.

Even in one of the few times she's genuinely upset, at least in the case with this episode, if you refer to the manga chapter from which the scene is borrowed, she appears to immediately regret her harshness after the scene concludes....but alas, I cannot expand my argument on this front until the series itself expands.

And you're crazy if you think the anime doesn't make Usui look like a "whimsical-spontaneous stalker" moreso than the manga.

It's not even close.
LordDemon is offline   Reply With Quote