View Single Post
Old 2012-12-22, 15:50   Link #31489
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

If he wanted that, he shouldn't have pushed the "nothing to gain" angle so hard. If a person truly has nothing to gain from evil and does it anyway, there's simply something about them that isn't particularly human.

What could be "gained" doesn't necessarily need to be something of substance, but it ought to at least make sense. For example, the Golden Land is portrayed as an acceptable substitute for everyone existing as they are, but not really pushed as a superior option. At least if Yasu were so convinced that the family cannot be saved in any other way that sort of thing could be seen as a motive that is actually somewhat selfless, if dangerously deluded.

But I don't see why anyone should sympathize with "Eh, this works. Or not doing it, that works. Or partially doing it, that also works." That's a really wishy-washy desire. We either want the culprit's desire to be something that must be thwarted, or be sympathetic to it as something that is desirable while regretting their attempts at obtaining it through acts of evil. I just don't care why Yasu thinks anything he/she is doing is right, because Yasu doesn't seem all that committed to any particular outcome either.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote