View Single Post
Old 2012-04-24, 08:56   Link #28575
Kealym

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestSpeaker View Post
Actually they were, this is just before we knew it was unreliable.

As for the whole DID misinterpretation. Basically, if you have no knowledge of psychiatry and ignore the fact that the condition as given does not exist (I'm looking at you Black Swan) you can probably more easily figure it out. Novels and movies often use mental conditions that don't exist, which would be cheating if we weren't given pretty good evidence within the story being told that it does. Knox's rule does allow for complex devices hinted at. So if we work from the idea her condition does exist, we can then see A: Ryu spent a chunk of game 6 justifying rather accurately why he calls them different people (the whole memories argument) and it doesn't actually clash with the medical definition of dead. Your heart is still beating (albeit in Shannon's body) but your brain can be dead.

And yes Kanon may have appeared in Ep 3's end, but who knows how true that even was. All we really know is Jessica was lead to the parlour.
1. Never seen together from a reliable perspective - c'mon, you know what was meant.
2. I continue to not understand the need to try and use medical MPD / DID or whatever. I mean, "multiple personalities" is a simple way to phrase things, but the explanation the story itself repeatedly, repeatedly offered - that one can express very different parts of themselves in different contexts - seems way easier to work with. I mean, in your Black Swan example, I wouldn't say an alternate personality was growing, just a part of the person that had been severely repressed and was now being being indulged.
3. About Kanon in EP3, it's a small point, but it's interesting that unlike Shannon, he wasn't presented as being not-dead in the Fantasy - Jessica was talking to his ghost or whatever. Her blindness + "No, no touchies!" was an extremely convenient narrative contrivance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
And MPD as Shkanon experiences it is almost literally magic since she can basically mind-control other people (who happen to be in her heaD) at will.
i thought you were part of the group that disregards referring to it as MPD or anything, because it makes things sillier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Yea, except it renders thinking meaningless, bringing us back to the square one complaint.
I'm so confused by the discussion right now.

Are we arguing whether or not the mystery was at all solvable? Or whether Shkanon was a worthwhile trick to hinge said solva-bility on? Or whether Ryukishi reserves the right to be misleading and vague by stating afterwards "Well, I guess it might not make sense to everybody"?

On a completely unrelated note, I've been reading alot of blogs by peeps who consider themselves non-binary, in some way, regarding their gender. Proper terms and technicalities aside, I think the general way we seem to generally consider Yasu's gender/sex may be a bit skewed. Well, basically I'm thinking that falling off the cliff didn't cause ANY real physical damage to her body at all, and Genji being able to bullkshit 3 years off of her age is a combination of both the person being naturally small and "don't think about it too hard, like you don't think about all the people that had to have been physically involved in building Kuwadorian yet never spoke to the public about it."
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote