View Single Post
Old 2008-02-17, 17:32   Link #10
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAn View Post
Basically if you break the word down, Typesetting (or Type-setting) would be placement of text (or 'Type').
Yes ... that will be the original definition... Setting the text.. Placement, formats (font, colors, blurs, borders, etc), etc of the text.

Quote:
Karaoke Typesetting - Not really 'Typesetting' I guess since most of Karaoke is TIMING and Styling, but it does involve placement components, including the technical elements.
Actually, only a few karaoke are actual typesets. Those are quite tricky. Sometimes, in the scenes, there are videos of actual book, and one may want to do karoke on top of that book with the same effects as what's given on the book. This is a rare occasion. As a side note, I just did a karaoke typesetting in Bamboo Blade 18, made in .ass (since I don't feel like making it in AFX). The reason I called that karaoke typesetting was that I was matching the romaji karaoke to the timing and styling of the original Kanji/Japanese karaoke (same font, style, colors, and timing). It was fun doing so. heh

Quote:
Credits Typesetting - I'd say sure, it's usually placing the credits in appropriate locations (and styling) so that it blends in with the actual credits.
Yes, all credits have their own effects. The common effects are fading. The less common ones are directional blurs, and even some are particles blended or explosions or even shines/glows. The goal is to simulate those effects too.

Quote:
Title / Logo Typesetting - Can be, it's not really about placement though, it's more about matching. Since this is what I usually spend most my subbing time doing, I've stopped referring of myself as a typeset, and just an AFX Guy.
Some of the signs I leaned to are the same stuff needed to be done as in logos. Do we intend to differentiate them too? Some signs are more difficult than just logos... i.e. use of After-Effects or Premiere or whatever video effects software you want to use.

Quote:
Basically when you break it down though, Typesetting has it's science and artistic elements, but I'll agree with you that Styling the text is not typesetting, more artistic direction.
True... sometimes you need to be artistic to do with some of the signs. Most of the time, you just have to match with the original scenes, so no artistic is really necessary.

Quote:
You forgot Timing, it's probably #2 on that list.
Glad you point that out ;p Yes, most people probably don't care timing that much, unless it's extremely badly timed. So, I think it should be the same level as encoding, right below editing and translation.

Last edited by pichu; 2008-02-17 at 17:46.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote