View Single Post
Old 2004-11-19, 21:23   Link #97
iluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
If we've settled on '99-'00 as the beginning of real digisubbing, my digisubs of Hunter X Hunter are the oldest surviving files in my collection. HxH debuted in October of '99, and the subs are from aku-fansubs.

Generally, though, I remember digisub trading being pretty active before that. For instance, I know I saw Tenshi ni Narumon (April '99), The Adventures of the Mini-Godesses (April '98), and Record of Lodoss War TV (April '98) through a purely digital release.
I think you are making the mistake of thinking that these shows were subbed as they aired the way most shows are subbed now. However the debut date of the show doesn't really tell you anything about when the subs were done. As bayoab said, A-Kissaten was subbing HxH before aku, but, if I remember correctly, even A-K didn't pick it up until late 2000 or early 2001.

Also, in the early days of digisubs, a lot of files were being encoded and distributed on the net as .rm, .asf, avi or mpeg, but they were captures from VHS subs and therefore not digisubs. Some groups would make a VHS sub, cap the VHS, and release it in a digital format at the same time they made the tape available or even before the tape was available. Basically if a genlock or VCR was used in the subbing process (other than to cap a raw from VHS) it's not a digisub by the definition that seems to be being used in this thread.
iluid is offline   Reply With Quote