View Single Post
Old 2008-11-17, 12:06   Link #37
Eggs in a Bottle
Ehh I love suits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Actually, I don't believe in an afterlife. I was just noting that most people did. But hey, way to respect other people's beliefs. So now anyone who believes in an afterlife is a dangerous, suicidal fanatic.
I did no say so, I said I call them zealots, but I did not say they are zealots. Your name could be Dick, but you wouldn't actually be a dick. They are zealot-like, because if somebody created a perfect war machine, he would either give it a simple, animal-like mind like orks in Warhammer, or a religion.

Quote:
No, she believes that hospital life is unpleasant and would rather live free of it - even if it means her life will be shorter. Since she has much more personal experience with hospital and deadly diseases than I do, I'm inclined to believe her. Or at least that, to her, it's true. It's not like I'd throw the stone at someone making a different choice - for his or her own life.
I've been in hospitals when I was younger, and no I wasn't in pain and not in surgery, but it was in no way even sad. You are in a bed, watching TV or reading, in a room. The nastiest things were the food (it is horrible) and the needle they stick in you, but I could imagine the surgery aftermath with your chest hurting and feeling dizzy from the sleepies and other poisons. Then all the theraphy and tests. Her room looked really dark, tiny and sad, though.

Quote:
That's a reason all the same. Not a very healthy one according to me, but whatever. I don't share it. She probably doesn't either.
Majority of mankind does. Also, of men, a massive majority.

Quote:
You want her to live for the sake of getting laid? Why?
Why not? It is something everybody should experience, at least in some way.

Quote:
Note that she's not a stranger to pleasure, or being in the hospital wouldn't make a difference.
How so? She has been sick for the most of her early life, this is the time she would actually be growing up and forming to be a thinking, deeply feeling adult.

Quote:
Everything is in our heads. So? The point is, she believes she'll be happier without the heart transplant. Why do you insist she's wrong?
My first post said that she should just do it if she wants to, I believe I am describing why she is not thinking rationally. Suicide, by your own hand or not, slow or not, is not a happy thing.

Quote:
It's not even about the gay thing. The whole brick thing is out of nowhere. How does that argue for forcing a girl to have a heart transplant?
This was related to another portion, but since our posts have been sliced up so much, this has been ripped away (by you) from its mother to take its own course.

Quote:
As you see it. Not everyone has to share your views.
Not everybody share my view of helping poor countries, either.

Quote:
I do not believe we have any kind of duty to perpetuate ourselves. We do it because we want to, not out of "duty".
But it is, mankind would die if we wouldn't breed. You are living in a world of freedom and hidden duties and rules.

Quote:
Your argument basically boils down to "because I say so". Not a very good one.
Yours does.

Quote:
Aliens coming down and saving her is more likely. Not something I'd want to bet on.
Actually not, "stored" mind is as common matter of study as is Artificial Intelligence nowadays.

Quote:
That wouldn't be 30 years of health, that'd be 30 years of immuno suppressant and frequent hospital visits. And still not much in the way of long term plans.
Why do you compare it to a normal life? Compare it to her choice of life. She has a failing heart...

Quote:
You've so far failed to prove her choice was irrational, unless one accepts the premise that longevity trumps all other considerations.
How so? We have debated of the quality of both choices and you have yet to prove that her choice of living with her heart WITH A HOLE IN IT, in her early teens which many people complain to have been a difficult time, is somehow better than going into a surgery, being in the hospital for months, getting released, and visiting the hospital constantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
You either run out of money or grow bored with it all in pretty short order.
Quote:
He's doing it because he likes it, not because he's trying to distract himself from a deadly condition. And even so - that's just one guy liking something. What you're trying to argue is that anyone, given the chance, could live like that and be happy.
What are you talking about, first you said the money line, I posted Hugh Hefner, then you start going on about something other.

Quote:
All her life, on and off.
Quote:
Your child will have very close follow-up with the transplant team after leaving the hospital. This will allow for close monitoring of your child and the function of the transplanted heart. Follow-up visits in the clinic may include the following:

complete physical examination
blood work
echocardiogram
cardiac catheterization with biopsy
continued education for you and your child
medication changes

Children who have received a heart transplant will need life-long follow-up with physicians who are specialized in transplant medicine. Keeping appointments with your child's transplant physician, as well as maintaining contact with the transplant team when symptoms of rejection occur, is vital. Parents (and the recipient, when old enough) are the first line of defense; they must understand and recognize the symptoms of rejection, and report them as soon as possible to the transplant team.

Quote:
That's one event. Not the daily grind.
You ignore my point and pick an added edit that is just side notification.

Quote:
If it doesn't smell of disinfectant I don't want to be treated there, and if it does I don't want to be there. Even if the food is better - the whole "people die there" and "doctors and nurses poke and prod you" won't change.
Oh my, what an agony, people poking you.

Quote:
Maybe you should explain your point better, then.
Way to be a douche.

Quote:
Right here, for example, I don't get what you're trying to say.
Maybe you should get a dictionary from somewhere and just look the word "inadequate" up. That would explain a lot, I assume.

Also, pain being described as a thing to evade even by killing yourself, why do masochists love fear and love pain? Why do athletes and body builders push their muscles beyond their limit, causing pain?
Eggs in a Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote