View Single Post
Old 2004-02-11, 14:30   Link #10
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

I may not be as much of help as I have no idea what is licensed and what is not in your country. However, I can give you several recommendations as a person in Japan, on animes to watch that may fit to your choices:

1. Early works made by GAINAX. These include: "Wing of Honneamise," "Nadia: Secret of Blue Water," "Top o Nerae! Gunbuster," and "Neon Genesis Evangelion." These are all masterpieces done mainly by director Anno Hideaki, who happens to incorporate much detail of psychology into science fiction. "Nadia: Secret of Blue Water" is loosely based on Jules Verne's "3000 Leagues Under the Sea." "Top o Nerae! Gunbuster" is a six-part OVA which is magnificently made by many animators who were young at the time, who are now mainly one of the top animators of anime we see today. And, as another had mentioned, "Neon Genesis Evangelion" happens to be the pivotal point in recent anime history as most anime today are correlated through the success and the mysteriousness that "Neon Genesis Evangelion" had put out, especially on the last several episodes.

2. Films by Oshii Mamoru. Probably in the Western world, he is best known for directing the film "Ghost in The Shell." However, I do recommend that you see his earlier work - "Urusei Yatsura Movie 3 - Beautiful Dreamer." A nostalgic and somewhat nightmarish version of Takahashi Rumiko's "Urusei Yatsura" in a "Twilight Zone"-esque theme of repeating the same day over and over again.

3. Kon Satoshi films. These include: "Perfect Blue," "Millennium Actress," "Tokyo Godfathers" and his latest TV series - "Mousou Dairinin - Paranoia Agent." He is a brilliant director who gorgeously puts together the inner emotional world of a character into a physical view to the viewer and the character in the anime itself. Though, "Perfect Blue" can be quite disturbing and very hard to keep up with mind-boggling repeated scenes of what is real and what is imaginary, the animation quality and the interesting layout of the story is quite interesting indeed. Unfortunately, from what I have been reading on this board, is the chances that you may not be able to get "fansubs" of "Mousou Dairinin" as it is already licensed in your country by the US division of Geneon Entertainment. But from what I have been viewing for the past two episodes, this is a promising series to watch due to its evocative nature.