View Single Post
Old 2011-10-02, 12:52   Link #676
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Er, let me clarify what I meant there.

All I meant is that Nichijou is the only project that KyoAni has going for any period between Winter 2011 to Fall 2011. Basically, that's all they have for a full 12 month period. This much is known. We know that KyoAni did only Nichijou during Winter 2011 through Summer 2011, and we know that they're doing nothing in Fall 2011.

I certainly don't mean that there's nothing KyoAni can do after the K-On! movie (which is slated for this winter). Going to another Key property might be a wise choice, agreed.
Quote:
I get what you're saying here, but my point is a bit different than this.

Let me use an analogy here: Let's suppose Apple, the widely recognized King of smartphones and smart devices, basically took an entire year off from making new iPhones, iPods, iPads, etc...

During that off year, a couple upstart competitors started putting out new high-grade smartphones that sold like hot cakes, and took the market by storm.

How do you think the media would be reporting on this?

I can tell you right now that there would be several articles asking (either explicitly, or implicitly) "Is Apple's dominance in the smartphone marketplace being ate away by Company XYZ?"

I'm kind of surprised that similar questions aren't being asked more about A-1 (or even P.A. Works) vs. KyoAni.

I mean, the total number of hardcore otaku customers is not huge. You usually only get so many big sellers all at the same time.
Sorry, I misunderstood your first point and ignored your second. Although I highly doubt that KyoAni will have much difficulty rejoining the competition if an effort is made, knowing the fanbases of Haruhi and the Key name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They could easily get another 14 episode season of Haruhi out of what is left from books 5 and 6 along with books 7 and 8. They mght be able to make a 28 episode season with the added material from books 9, 10, and 11, which is one story. But since books 9, 10, and 11 are one story, it might work as a movie instead...unless it is too long or complex, then it might need its own season to get all the details to work.

Or they can add in some of the extra materals to a make a 28 episode season with just books 5, 6, 7, and 8, and leave the long story for a fourth season...or book 12, in the hope that it will have some short stories to throw into the mix (depending entirely it they go chronological order or not again).

Book 7 is a full length story, while books 5, 6, and 8 are a collection of short stories. Book 9 and 10 (and 10b/11) are a full length story with multiple paths, so it will be interesting to see animated.
Thanks a lot for the info! It's nice to know that there is still plenty of material to adapt for at least 2 seasons.

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. It's been a long time since the Haruhi movie aired. I'd really like to see more animated Haruhi soon.

What I'd like to see from KyoAni in 2012:

Something big/new starting in Spring or Fall.

Another Haruhi season in Fall or Spring.

That's an absolute best-case scenario though, imo. But I'd like to think that KyoAni could handle a couple major projects in 2012.
After reading Ithekro's useful comment, I agree wholeheartedly with this hypothetical plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Maybe KyoAni's idea of trying out something 'new' was Nichijou, where they relied solely on commedy? Perhaps going back to their old style/methods will make things better, such as VN adaptations, moe characters, etc. To take Triple_R Apple example, Apple should just stick with making better smartphones, etc, and not something else like HDTV's, imo.
Nichijou was certainly more daring than K-On was, and I don't think KyoAni did a bad job on it at all. In fact, some of the most interesting moments relied on a lot of dynamic movement, which was probably not nearly as effective in the manga. The animation was excellent, the music was wonderful, and the OP and ED were respectively insane and gorgeous. The problem I had with Nichijou was the type of humor, which failed almost all the time. KyoAni did their best job with a subpar manga.

From a marketing perspective, some unlucky factors doomed Nichijou. Was it an inappropriate timeslot? Overpriced BDs? Maybe otaku simply didn't like it? Who knows. But I don't think it was too much ambition, as 0utf0xZer0 says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
KyoAni isn't that exciting anymore, other properties in their targeted genres are (AnoHana, Idolmaster (like I said, the franchise alone guaranteed this would be big), Hanasaku Iroha), and the loyalists are pissed at Kadokawa.

For KyoAni to have been as exciting this year as they were a few years back, they would have neded to produce an AnoHana, Idolmaster, or Hanasaku Iroha - and Nichijou was not that show.