View Single Post
Old 2011-03-20, 15:20   Link #255
Chron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
Overall, I'd say Ryukishi was trying to make a "whydunnit". We didn't know what happened. We didn't have any alibis for anyone. All we have is the motives, characters and situations of everyone on the island that day. As such... you can only work out who the killer is if you understand their heart.

Whether or not you think this was successful is up to you.

I'd say you're being a bit silly. Beatrice wrote the first 2 stories. She'll write about the people who influenced her, and characterising people according to her own knowledge. Even if we eliminate Ryukishi from the equation, there's a perfectly good reason why characters who don't matter would get no development.

In the 3rd episode onwards, it's written by amnesiac Battler. As far as I know he's going based on scraps of what he remembers and the stories by Beatrice. Therefore, once again... he'll focus on the people who matter.
The protagonist doesn't matter, i completely agree. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous. You're giving credit to ryuukishi for your own generalizations. He's a good world builder, but he's not as much a genius as you're trying to make him out to be.

He lead us on a several year wild goose chase for the sake of making his ham-handed point about truth (which is stupid in this medium, and insulting in how he went about it), and that's the truth of the matter. He knows what his audience is, its common knowledge that he pays attention to his fanbase, so there really can't be any way to explain his intent other than that.

Ryuukishi thinks he's better than the mystery genre, than his readers, than the need for proofreading. What else is that other than hubris? Especially since he's mistaken on all there counts.

You're arguing that ryuukishi's a genius. I'm saying he's just mediocre, so tell me something: Where's the genius in Umineko? I don't see it. I see no reason to be impressed with what ryuukishi has done here.
Chron is offline   Reply With Quote