View Single Post
Old 2010-12-18, 03:43   Link #3736
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Well, how about the plugsuits in Evangelion? There's no reason for them to be skintight except that it looks good. However, because it's not really blatant fanservice, you quickly ignore it. Or, for another example, it's all the carefully positioned camera angles in Code Geass that cross the line from innocuous fanservice to blatant fanservice....
I don't think I really get what you're trying to say here. Are you suggesting that you wouldn't have complained about the fanservice if it was more "subtle"? Is your problem with the fanservice or with how "blatant" it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
...The author didn't have to make Haruhi that way, after all. There are plenty of ways to show that someone's crazy besides having them dress up and molest other characters....
Yeah he didn't, and yeah there are plenty of other ways. But why exactly would using this way somehow be inferior to the using others? Because it might offend a few people (and attract a few )? But those would just be byproducts, and even if the intention was to go for fanservice, does it make the method any less valid in practice?

TMSIDR here summed up nicely how I personally see it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSIDR View Post
The viewer gets the idea that Haruhi's cosrapes and similar things are wrong and the stuff she does in Sigh shows her worst side, so these scenes work for me from a comedic standpoint and from a moral standpoint in the story.
Except for me it was never really funny, but most certainly not repulsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
If you like the work in spite of its flaws, why spend all your time talking about said flaws? It makes you seem as though you hate, rather than like, the work in question.

It's fine to say negative things about something you like, but when this is nearly all you say...
To be fair though, Game_2k4 did say he doesn't know exactly why he likes this thing, so I guess the only logical alternative is to talk about what he dislikes about it instead.