View Single Post
Old 2010-07-11, 03:51   Link #102
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You mean the curved markings on the left? It is called a rangefinder. The 7.62mm x 54mmR is said to have similar ballistics to its 7.62 x 51mm NATO counterpart, with just a slightly larger punch due to its extra mass that allows it have more K.E.

Snipers and sharpshooters are the same. Snipers and designated marksmen, however, are the two different ones. The SVD is meant and built for DMs, not snipers, that's why it is given a semi-auto function.

When you mentioned Coriolis Effect, I knew you had just read everything off the net with no formal thought given into kinematics and dynamics.

1. Compensation is given to the mass of the bullet causing bullet drop AND parallax errors, not just the bullet itself.

2. Wind speed alters a bullet's flight path. Having a larger bullet mass helps to counteract it in breezes and ranges below a click. Both the Warsaw and NATO 7.62mm rounds can hit stuff at 300 metres without taking into account wind speed (unless it's very strong), anything beyond that you have to do your calculations and adjustments.

3. Elevation is only used for anything up to anything half a click above sea level and a range above half a click. 7.62 rounds can fly straight further than you think.

I have no idea which variable angle/distance you are talking about, and I will let you figure out Coriolis Effect on your own with this equation :

Fc = -2mω X Vr

where
Fc = Coriolis Force
m = mass of bullet
ω = angular velocity of earth
X = vectorial product
Vr = muzzle velocity of bullet

ω is based on the latitude position of the spot you are sniping from on Earth. It depends on which position you are shooting from, towards the South, the bullet would shift West due to Earth's spin. And taking Newton's Law of Gravitation into account, the Inverse Sqaure law applies.

From my calculations, even with a really long ranged bullet like the 20mm, I seriously doubt the Coriolis effect will be needed to be taken into account because with a powerful enough scope of up to 10x magnification and some experience of shooting stuff over a click, the deviation of the bullet due to Coriolis effect would be less than a metre at a range of 2 clicks.

The Coriolis effect seems to be used more for artillery and mortar.

If only sniper weapons have fire control computers...but that would require a superpowerful processor because the bullet dynamics are so radically different as compared for tank guns. The numbers dealt with are like 1000,000 times smaller.
just generalized the term CE it since im not into in-depth of such. though i get mistakes i admit.

bullet drop..... THATS the angle i was trying to say. dayum...... since she is in urban territory and i doubt that she can take on butei killer snipers....

the CE has to sometimes be included as the wind sometimes changes at a whim. i'll go OMGWTF if reki can actually PULL epic calculations while she is looking at the scope. lawl