View Single Post
Old 2012-11-14, 12:18   Link #3224
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
What I would like to see is a governor actually asking for secession (Rick Perry seems is not going to give me the pleasure) since then it would an act of sedition and Obama would need to arrest him.
Not gonna happen.
Like I said, this is all saber-rattling, but it is interesting to see how many people will sign it.

Speaking of BamBam.

Obama to open talks with $1.6 trillion plan to raise taxes on corporations, wealthy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...02a_story.html

"Progressivism" in action:
Hooray! Bankrupt California Is Now a One-Party State!
http://reason.com/blog/2012/11/13/ho...a-is-now-a-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monir
Yes, I learned so much from reading those two articles......

When comparing, it makes more sense to present data for both sides, won't you agree?

Here is a better collection of data (without too much opinion) that can give you a complete picture of what's taking place. You might need a pen and a piece of paper two jot down the numbers for those two states cause the data analyzes all 50 states. California is doing pretty well and would actually fare much better than Texas if it becomes its own country. Texas' honeymoon may last five years at most before people starts their mass exodus????

Also, a copy/paste from your previous article posted about seceding... I underlined the important part

States whose active petitions have not yet reached the 25,000 signature threshold include

Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Texas will get over it.
I read the PDF file quickly, but upon cursory examination it shows that Texas takes in less federal aid (in 2010) than does California.
Perhaps I need to read it in more detail, but considering Texas has no state income tax because it doesn't need it, and California's taxes are astronomical in comparison, it is clear that the California model doesn't work if it also requires more federal aid than Texas.

If Texas were to actually secede (which I highly doubt) they wouldn't be anywhere near in the dire condition that California would be in if it were able to secede.

Honestly, I don't see anything in the FAS report that would support the idea that Texas takes more aid, or is somehow inferior to California economically.
In fact, the quick skim I did of it seems to indicate the opposite, but then again maybe I'll go back and give it a better look if I have time today.

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2012-11-14 at 12:32.