Thread: Licensed Tamako Market
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-29, 07:04   Link #1450
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I have no idea what this anime was trying to convey, honestly. I don't want to be that person that just barges in shouting "another show with cute girls doing pointlessly cute things, bah", and that is not what I'm saying here. However, KyoAni doesn't really give me a lot to work with...

When Tamako Market began, something made me want to like the show. It was cute, but not to the point of obnoxiousness (at least, not for my tastes). It had some pretty nice warm and fuzzy moments -- the episodes focusing on Shiori, Tamako's dad, and Anko being the highlights of the entire series, imo. It had side characters that were pretty unnecessary but likable enough. It also had a pretty nice soundtrack that lacked terribly annoying and zany tracks one might expect from a show with any comedy tones. I kept saying, hey, they may have something neat here.

But in the end, the series was just... I don't know. It feels too soft. Too open-ended. Almost like it's unfinished, or perhaps a fragment of something larger. There were too many things going on at once, too many things happening too fast (mainly due to all of the prince nonsense). The ending felt abrupt and awkward.

If the series had been longer, slower-paced, tried to focus more on the sentimental moments yet still retaining the cute and comedic air, developed its characters a little more, and tied up what I feel are some loose ends... Then it would've been a much, much more satisfying experience.

I'll give the series a 6/10.