View Single Post
Old 2008-08-13, 09:25   Link #1
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
foreigner stereotypes in anime

Which non-japanese characters were depicted as stereotypes and not stereotypes?

I have noticed that many Chinese anime characters such as Li Syaoran, Revy (Black Lagoon), Hei/Li Shengshen (Darker Than Black), Lee Bailong (Shaman King), Li Kohran (Sakura Wars) and the main character cast of Cooking Master Boy were portrayed positively. However, some personality traits that many Chinese characters such as Syaoran, Hei, Bailong, Tao Ren (Shaman King) and Revy have in common was that they are angry, aloof and bitter individuals with a chip-on-the-shoulder atttude.

In the anime Cooking Master boy, Chinese people, usually in crowds, all look alike/the same, aside from the major characters, who however can easily be distinguished.

Why are almost all half-Japanese/half-Western characters blondes? In reality they have black hair.

Tamaki Suou (half-French, half-Japanese) from Ouran Host Club
Rebecca Miyamoto (half-Japanese, half-American) from Pani Poni Dash!
Momiji Sohma (half-German, half-Japanese) from Fruits Basket
Elise Housen (half-French, half-Japanese) from Canvas 2
Eri Sawachika (half-British, half-Japanese) from School Rumble
Maria Tachibana (half-Russian, half-Japanese) from Sakura Taisen
Heindrick and Elizabeth K. Strawberryfield (half-English, half-Japanese) from Kamen no Maid Guy
Niina Isokawa (half-American, half-Japanese) from Tona-gura
Sophie Balzac Kirisaki (half-French, half-Japanese) from Yakitate Japan
Meister Silvan Kirisaki (half-French, half-Japanese) from Yakitate Japan

Kouji Jefferson Sakai (half-Swedish, half-Japanese) from Hungry Heart~ Wild Striker has silvery-blonde hair.

Orihime Soletta (half-Italian, half-Japanese) from Sakura Taisen 2 and Yuki (half-Greek, half-Japanese) from the manga Love for Venus have black hair, not blond hair. But then again Italians and Greeks, being mediterranean, generally do not have blonde hair.

I have taken a look at the American characters.

The American main characters David, Lewis and Julia in Blood+ are depicted positively. But the U.S. government officials in Blood+ were characterized as duplicitous, manipulative and deceitful as snakes.

Many people say that Americans in anime are stereotypified as lewd, loud-mouthed, nosy, rude, boorish, obnoxious and inconsiderate. Roy Focker (Macross), Monica Adenauer (Yakitate Japan), Sarah McDougal (Love Hina) and Tina Foster (Ai Yori Aoshi) are typical examples of that stereotype. Another classic example of "loud and rude foreigner" stereotype is Kaere Kimura (Sayonara Zetsubo-sensei).

I read that Black characters were portrayed as stereotypes in anime. But when I saw Rodrigo (Afro-Brazilian) on Hungry Heart~ Wild Striker, he didn't look like stereotypical but rather a real person with fairly rich character depth.

The English/Britons such as Eri Sawachika, Heindrick Strawberryfield, Elizabeth Strawberryfield, and the full-blooded British guy from Gatekeepers are depicted as arrogant, snobby and acting high-class. Mayu Miyuki (Ai Yori Aoshi) may be full Japanese but grew up in England, so she acted the english stereotype of an arrogant and vain snob on a high horse.

As for the characterization of French people in anime, every French character (Iris, Glycine, Erica, Lobelia, Mer Raison, Ci Caprice, etc) in Sakura Taisen has their own distinct personality traits and do not share the same behavioural traits.

What's more interesting is that all half-Japanese, half-French children such as Suou Tamaki, Sophie Balzac Kirisaki, Meister Silvan Kirisaki, Elise Housen, Christine Hanakomachi have French mothers and Japanese fathers. Hanabi Kitaoji's grandmother is a Frenchwoman.

Last edited by stelok; 2008-09-18 at 07:17.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote