View Single Post
Old 2011-02-11, 21:49   Link #57
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
However, the lure of a new show from the same core team is too strong to resist.
Agreed, I'll be trying to keep mine in check as well since it looks like it'll be their first show back in restructured form but I too have been dying for this core team to do something together again so it's hard to resist being excited.

Also the mix of scifi/steampunk/aerial-grandeur/vanships etc. setting and seeing that kind of visual design in action again, it's "world design" still stands out to this day IMO and still easily holds the potential to be a fresh setting amongst any season of new shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
However, the lure of a new show from the same core team is too strong to resist.
Agreed, I've been dying for this core team to do something together again.

Also the mix of scifi/steampunk/aerial-grandeur/vanships etc. setting and seeing that kind of visual design in action again, it's "world design" still stands out to this day IMO and still easily holds the potential to be a fresh setting amongst any season of new shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Oh my God.... I can't believe my eyes. At first I thought this was a joke but then after researching it seems like it's true and we're going to have another Last Exile. The first series for me was a complete masterpiece with superb animations if compared by today's standard, heck even better in most cases considering that the series was made when Gonzo's still at its prime.

I also hope they don't screw this. Last Exile had given me a memorable and pleasant impression on anime in general, that it's not about moetards but focused on quality, beautiful animations and epic settings.
Same here. It totally delivered on it's potential with a great story and world in my opinion. I agree it's production values still hold up superbly.

I've loved Gonzo shows and their ambition for originals and as a huge longtime scifi fan their real passion for the Sci-Fi genre (following them since Blue Sub 6) evident in their more scifi projects so I really hope they've been able to take the proper time to reconstruct themselves in this last year or so so that they are truly ready to relaunch themselves well cause I'd really like to see them re-establish themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
I am also not sure if the setting will even be interesting after other anime like Planet of the Beast King or Scrapped Princess had somewhat similar worlds (exaled, prisons).

So no, very low expectations from my part.
I'll be curious to see if the new restructuring has their ratio of projects to capacity back in order in regards to expectations.

I've seen both of these (loved Scrapped Princess!) and while there is a bit of overlap, the real setting styles that identify them are completely different. Neither of those two shows have a setting particularly in common with Last Exile's industrial/flight/scifi/steampunk-era style. I think the setting remains as great, fresh, and rarely used as ever.

Edit: I just noticed the teaser flash on the front page is showing a colored version of the main character, Fam, and already it is capturing the soft, rounded, specific, Murata-style look + coloring in colored anime form (unlike Ishii's adaptations of his art on Shangri-La) so unless Murata also personally drew an anime-shaded version I'm quite hopeful that Horiuchi will do his best to do another great job on this particular element of the show's art like he did before if the show is getting the proper time/financial attention to do it properly as their psuedo re-launch series.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-02-12 at 02:13.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote