View Single Post
Old 2004-04-30, 05:22   Link #247
zepher

Gainax

Gainax is losing it.

These days all they do is fanservice.

Their shows have become immature, far worse then they previously were, at least back in the day they had this care free and alive feeling to them that made them special. These days they are washed over with cliche and fanservice.

The pre Kare Kano Gainax was a better studio, but ofcourse, Anno was still around then, even though the types of shows they make hasn't reall changed, back then they at least had great style, flair, composition, camera work, layout, detail and design. These days it's just "another one of those 4 billion anime" type things, where everything looks, feels, acts, and moves just like the other 4 billion anime on tv right now. These days Gainax shows are overruled by fanservice.

The biggest shame is that Yamaga, the director of Honneamise no Tsubasa - Oritsu Uchugun, is also the director of Mahoromatic, such a waste of talent.
These days Gainax is giving into the fans way too much.
If the original founders of Gainax would be dead, they would be rolling in their graves, but the problem is that THEY are the ones making all this disposeable garbage that is as forgetable as the road sign you pass by on the highway at 120 km/h...and even call it their "20th anniversery show" My god!
A little test..look at any Gainax show older then Kare Kano, and look at what is different about them, i'm sure the difference will be as clear as day.
I enjoyed Daicon 3 100000x more then i enjoyed Konomini.

Most anime fans dont appreciate the artform either, eventhough they say they do, most fans just want to be fed the same things over and over again. Consumerism.
I hear people say stuff like "if there are no mechs its not fun" or "i only watch shoujo".
Dont get me wrong, i dont mind people liking those types of shows and not watching anything else, but don't claim to "love anime as an artform" when you yourself never venture out beyond a certain genre, especially genres as saturated as "mech" and "shoujo".
This is most evident from the praise Gainax is recieving for these shows, they know how to pull your strings.

Some people have told me that Gainax has been making these disposeable shows to make quick cash to fund their next big project "Aoi Uru" but that still needs to be confirmed, its a nice theory though, rather logical since these shows are huge cash cows which make money fast becuase of the "kawaii" characters and "emotional drama".

Ohwell, now that Anno's back in anime, we might see some good stuff from Gainax, untill then i'll keep Gainax on the "taking a break" list, and follow studios like Studio 4C and Production I.G more closely.
zepher is offline   Reply With Quote