Thread: Dating
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-04, 15:22   Link #10099
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I am in a relationship right now, but that wasnt always so. Last year valentines was the first one I actually celebrated properly, because before that I was either single (most of the time) or in an abusive relationship where the guy couldnt care less about Valentines or me for that matter. And I never whined about not being able to celebrate Valentines with anybody or about not having a relationship.

Trust me, it is actually a lot bitterer, when your partner ignores you and your emotional needs, then to be single!!! I speak out of experience.
That sounds terrible, but your own suffering doesn't invalidate the suffering of others. If people feel sad or depressed about being single on Valentine's Day, it's better to be supportive of them, right? There's always someone who has it worse, but suffering is suffering, no matter how relative it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Besides, whats the big deal anyways? If you are single, then you can always continue your daily routine as normal. There is no obligation for you to organize a date for this day, unless of course thats what you want and you make a good use of the opportunity to ask a girl out.
It's about being left out. There's a holiday specifically for people in a relationship to celebrate, and if you're single, you are left out of the celebration. On top of that, many people wish that they were in a relationship, but haven't been able to find or enter into one. Valentine's Day then becomes a day where singles are constantly reminded of that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
In other stories, I hate when guys are way too overprotective of their girlfriends. I tease my roommate's girlfriend about her hiccups and he starts bitching and moaning at me about being an insensitive jerk.
You never know what's going on behind the scenes. I know that there have been times when people said various things to my wife and she seemed fine with them, but then she broke down crying over them to me in private. Similarly, maybe the girl is really sensitive about her hiccups (or other bodily actions), or just really sensitive in general, and her boyfriend was protecting her.

On the other hand, it's also possible that the girl would really be fine with it, but the guy is the one who is sensitive and feels that his girlfriend would be sensitive over it, as well.