View Single Post
Old 2009-02-16, 23:27   Link #29
mintyfresh
Altoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalicious View Post
I pretty much agree with 4Tran on this. While Yumi is my favorite character, she's clueless and impulsive, and sometimes doesn't think past herself. In this case, she did just about everything she could to send the message to Touko that "You're an afterthought," even though she cares about Touko a great deal.
You bring up some pretty good pretty good points in your post. I never looked at Yumi as so much at fault before now.

Quote:
For starters, inviting Kanako along with Touko was a real blow to Touko's ego, I'd wager. I haven't gotten that far in the book yet, so I can't say for sure, but were I Touko, I'd be kind of irritated. (If you care about me so much, why are you inviting her too? Am I just goldfish droppings?)
This however, I'm inclined to slightly contend with. If this were the case, I think Touko might have been a bit more relieved to go to the Yamayurikai party after Kanako said that she was likely unable to attend.
But more than anything, Touko's reaction to the invitation was probably because she had just been avoiding Yumi altogether. I'm certain a part of her found the fact that Yumi knew that she had ran away terribly embarassing, and she had since been trying to avoid talking about it (or even being reminded of it) at all costs. That is to say, going to the party was probably the last thing Touko wanted to do. Nevertheless, she went along anyway, possibly because she may have a hard time fighting back the other part of her that indeed does want to see Yumi.