View Single Post
Old 2012-05-07, 18:30   Link #28724
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Battler wasn't solving the epitaph; he was following Erika as she solved it, pretending to solve it with her. Battler never really contributed anything to the solution that Erika wasn't already on to. For example, Erika was already obviously searching for an atlas when Battler came into the library and brought up the "new" hint- the one he supposedly got from talking with Rosa- about the epitaph being a journey.

I haven't really thought of a satisfying "why" for Battler knowing the epitaph's solution, however.
Well, it actually seems as he too is solving pieces of it, not just following Erika.
It's Battler that presents part of the reasoning done to solve the epitaph, with Erika just saying something along the line of 'yes, I thought so too' instead than, 'yes, that's what I'm saying/said to you previously'... They seem to have worked on it in the same way in which they solved the riddle given by Maria in EP 6, each of them reaching the same solution.
If anything however I can think that the only clue Erika somehow figured out and Battler didn't is the fact that the beloved hometown was in Taiwan... though actually it's possible Battler went to the library because he had figured/remembered/being told it and just didn't feel like jumping on an atlas with Erika around.

It's also possible that Battler really had been handed the solution for some reason and was there merely to pretend he reached the solution searching in the library. Erika being there and doing the work for him just made things easier.

Quote:
This is actually an important point, but it's relevant in either scenario, right? So the question here becomes: Why does Battler continue cooperating with Erika even after he learns she's evil?
Either he had his own hidden agenda or he thought he could handle the situation. Maybe he didn't though the adults would react like that but just in case he called all the adults and had them discuss away from his cousins' ears...

Metaphorically speaking, seeing Kinzo might represent some sort of him taking responsiblity for the situation they're in.

If he'd pulled back from solving the epitaph, Erika would have solved it and would have owned the gold. If he doesn't know Kinzo is dead he could legittimately think that if Erika were to find the gold Kinzo would let it to her.
All considered the blow would be worse for Jessica if he were to find the gold in place of Erika (though probably he's also being naive).

Quote:
Come to think of it, it's pretty interesting that the Kinzo vision occurs when Erika is explaining what she thinks will happen with the family conference after the discovery of the gold. This means that if Battler was actually listening, which he likely was (since the Kinzo vision is false), he would have heard from Erika herself exactly what she expected (murder, no doubt). Now, we don't know exactly what Erika said, but if Battler knows what Erika thinks will happen, it puts him in the perfect position to play upon her expectations and act the roll of "Beatrice" against her, the "detective".

There's also the meta-perspective: What meta-agenda does it serve by explaining Battler's spotting of the turned statue with the Kinzo vision; and what meta-agenda does it serve to also leave out Erika's predictions in favor of showing us the Kinzo vision?
Well, the Kinzo's vision was supposed to be the clue to prove that Battler wasn't the detective. The Kinzo's vision is false but Battler might have been lost in his own thoughts so he still might have missed Erika's statement.
Or not believed it. He seems to trust his relatives, he wouldn't expect them to try and kill each other, maybe to argue but likely he would think Erika was exaggerating if she were to say they'll kill each other.

Though yes, Erika might have been saying something interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
I think that's more or less Yasu's situation. She's unable to "be herself" and the feelings she has for others and that others have for her are based on basically lies. I think to some extent a lot of people on the net can more or less understand Yasu's situation.
This fits with my impression of her own situation. She's sort of trapped by the role she plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
Actually that's a relatively good question imo : Is Shannon and Kanon actual personas or just roles? It imo implies a lot depending on which way it goes including how legimately it can bypass red.
I think they're sort of both. They were imaginary friends she planned carefully and which she roleplayed no stop.
She gave them a character but she ended up living their experiences... which in a fashion should have been very confusing for her.

Having an imaginary friend and saying 'oh, she's dating with George' and fantasyzing over it is a thing, playing the role of that imaginary friend and dating George and being on the receiving end of his affection must be something else.

So, even through it was 'Shannon' who was supposed to love George and 'Kanon' who was supposed to love Jessica in the end she was the one receiving the love of Jessica and George... though neither of the two knew he was loving her.

I wonder if George is the love duel winner merely because Shannon, who had birth as her superego/role model, is more similar to the real Yasu than Kanon and therefore 'stronger'.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote