Thread: Gundam's guts
View Single Post
Old 2006-08-03, 03:26   Link #25
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Hand carried weapons are inpractical for mechs, even worse is that those guns have to be triggered by the mechanical fingers. Its actually less real compared to the built in weapons of super robots. Instead of triggering mechanically, a remotely controlled shot by the pilot from the cockpit would be more realistic.
I can't think of a single reason for putting a physical trigger on a mobile suit weapon. It increases response time, increases the chance of accidental discharge, and makes the weapon more complicated. The weapon has to talk to the mobile suit's targeting system anyways, so it should be relatively trivial to have the firing command routed through this communication as well.

** Warning: WWI trivia ahead **
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Red Baron being said to be 3 times as fast is a joke lol, its because of the Fokker DR-1 or the Fokker Tri-plane which he made famous. Its the only plane to have a triple set of wings, which the engineers who designed it were really glad to know that more wings = better performance lol

It wasn't really 3 times as fast, it wasn't any faster than biplanes, but the 3 set of wings gave it extra lift. Which he used it extensively to do flips quickly over the plane chasing him so that he can turn the dog fight over. While diving back down with the flip from a higher altitude, thats when he made his kills.
Oh, I knew it was in jest, I was actually responding in a similar vein.

The Dr.I was actually a German attempt at copying the earlier Sopwith Triplane (one of my all-time personal favorite planes) made famous by the "Black Flight" and Raymond Collishaw. The triplane design was famous for having an excellent climb rate, and turns. However, the Dr.I in particular was relatively slow diving and in level flight. What was particularly distressing was that they also tended to disintegrate when the wings were stressed – this was especially common in steep dives.

As for von Richthofen, by the time he was assigned the Dr.I, he was already the commander of JG1. Since most of the Red Baron's kills were achieved against two-seaters, it was highly unlikely that he relied on the Dr.I's maneuverability to evade enemy attacks. Instead, he likely used its excellent climb rate to gain an altitude advantage, or its turn rate to reduce his deflection angle against enemy aircraft. As I pointed out above, von Richthofen wasn't a very good pilot, so he probably avoided trying any of the more exotic maneuvers.