View Single Post
Old 2008-02-24, 05:17   Link #465
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor
God, in Christianity, is a representative of three beings; The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

In a sense then, Christians give worship and praise to Jesus, because he represents the "Son" portion of the greater "God." It's not taking away from God, because Jesus is simply the portion of God sent to Earth to pay the ultimate price for man's sin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
The three are one and each is separate yet a seamless part of the three. The best you can tag Trinity discussions with is that its "one of the mysteries" kind of like quantum mechanics -- if you think you grok it... you haven't grokked it. The best I've ever come up with is my diamond analogy for religion in general applied to the Trinity. You can see some of the facets and the sparkles but its impossible for mortals to see the whole diamond at once.
The best analogy I've heard for the Holy Trinity is to imagine God as having three different states. Just as water comes in liquid, solid and gaseous states, so too does God — He exists as the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

My thanks to Ledgem and Kyuusai for elaborating the differences between Judaism and Christianity. Your posts make for very interesting reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai
I'm not suggesting it's not possible the whole thing could have started from tales that grew like a rolling snowball, but the history we have covering this to either confirm or deny the claims other than the documents of the NT is... slim to non-existent.
That's the point, isn't it? Something happened. Exactly what? Nobody knows. Were miracles involved? Was it really as big as we think? Was there really only one person? No way to tell.
"What is history but a myth agreed upon?"

Personally, I don't think it matters whether there is any veracity in anything we believe happened in the past. Let's face it, even in matters of secular history, we aren't completely sure if we recorded everything as it actually happened in real life, let alone in matters of religion where miracles are apparently commonplace.

It doesn't matter if it's make-belief, or if it's Truth, written large. I'm more concerned about the kinds of actions that such records would inspire, rather than the documents themselves.

And I think the record clearly shows that humans can be inspired to really stupid things. They are just as likely to be inspired to carry out the most selfless acts of kindness. That's part of the tragedy of being human.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote