View Single Post
Old 2012-04-08, 00:59   Link #220
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
If all highschool shows were this good you wouldn't be tired of them.
It's hard to say. Regardless of execution, I struggle to become interested in shows aimed at little kids (and reminiscence would be my reason for watching high school themed shows, but most people I know have little interest in revisiting those years time and again), so I can understand why someone's eyes might glaze over when watching Chihayafuru. For variety, a handful of teen-oriented shows may be fine, but there comes a point when enough is enough. The themes are just too trite and juvenile.

To adults with decades of life experience, Nodame Cantabile or Hataraki Man (trendy dramas aimed at the 20-30 year old crowd) may already be a compromise. The viewers are far removed from the target audience, and they may not identify too strongly with the characters. However, there's just enough sophistication to pique their interest.

[This is completely anecdotal, but from personal experience, I've found that older viewers prefer Korean dramas featuring a middle aged cast. They may also enjoy shows featuring actors in their 20s and early 30s (Winter Sonata, Sandglass, Jewel in the Palace, etc.), provided that the material is sophisticated and meaty enough. However, few have any interest in the shows with teen-oriented roots or trappings (i.e. Boys over Flowers, which was adapted for a twentysomething audience but failed to fool these older viewers)]
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote