View Single Post
Old 2010-04-04, 18:46   Link #14
GreatTeacherKen

Last movie I watched was the Japanese action movie Versus.

I thought it was okay overall. The acting sometimes went a bit over the top like the cowardly gangster, and the main villain's evil laugh towards the end. Though admittedly, I found Kenji Mitsuda's green suited gangster amusing. And I think the movie could be shortened a bit. There's this really long awkward pause after the first zombie attack that I thought was unnecessary and the police subplot is pointless (though I think that's part of the joke, but the movie's already two hours long and doesn't really need subplots that don't go anywhere)

However, in spite of these flaws, the thing that makes this movie stand out (and probably why it has cult popularity) is the fight scenes. I've seen many action movies with significantly larger budgets than this movie had, but the action scenes in those movies aren't nearly as cool and creative as the fights in this movie. The standouts definitely being the big zombie battle scene that happens right after the main character (by the way, none of the characters are given names) fights the ponytail guy which has the over the top cool moment when the hero carries three guns at the same time, firing two at once and carrying a third one with his mouth, and the final showdown.

Although I thought the movie was okay, I'd still be interested in seeing a sequel, and apparently there was one announced a long time ago, but it seems to be in development hell, so I don't know if it's going to happen.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote