View Single Post
Old 2013-01-14, 07:40   Link #68
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
being sort of angry, selfish, and spiteful (among other things) is a sort of "default state" and you go through real life constantly forcing yourself to "tone down".
This was mostly what I was referring to. For me, using strong wording or expressing things in an aggressive way is not related at all with being angry and selfish (maybe it is spiteful in itself, but I don't find it all that bad). Of course not everyone is the same when talking, and being overly hateful for the sake of it is just pointless. Do you see me insulting everything for no reason?
What I'm getting at is that many people can't deal with the cognitive dissonance of someone strongly disagreeing with their beliefs, when it happens face to face and there's the whole layer of physically being there present. It's more easy to overlook those sort of things when just reading text. That, anonymity and the fact that you won't risk getting beaten to a pulp contribute to internet being usually a much more offensive and aggressive place than the meatworld. But I don't see that as something so bad in an of itself, or at the very least it doesn't bother me to the extent it may bother you or someone else. It's just a natural consequence of this method of communication. My initial point is that I think it's more reasonable in this context for people to adapt to "objective", aggressive opinions (as long as they actually have some content that can be disputed or agreed with), than being constantly annoyed by them.

I don't think it actively annoys you beyond not getting why people do it, though. Most regular board users are probably already accustomed to it.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote