View Single Post
Old 2009-05-10, 04:16   Link #2033
Ardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Not really. It's a black longcoat with a red armband. Somewhat similar, if you reduce it down to absolute basics, but in no way the same. If the Brigade Chief armband had a white circle on it, now then you might have a case...

It's meant to look more like this in any case.
Interesting, I can easily see it being more directly borrowed from that, though it brings to mind a funny Asimov description of a character (not scifi, so from the 70s or so) as having "the kind of moustache Hitler had put out of style years ago." If you borrow a style from someone who goes bad, you have to change your style if you don't want people to make the association. As the wiki article notes, uniform black was long a German symbol, and the SS uniform is one of the most recognizable in history. So I'd tend to add your other picture to the list of people who shouldn't go around dressed in a way that recalls SS, rather than excuse them both as a norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The red armband is also standard. I believe it is used to note the leader of a group.
thanks both of you for the comments, I'm glad it's not as flagrant a reference as I feared, though let's say it's not a style I'd choose to wear with the excuse that similiarities aside it's just an old Japanese-German-style uniform from before that had any bad significance.
Ardee is offline   Reply With Quote