View Single Post
Old 2006-01-15, 01:24   Link #407
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome
She was obviously intended to look mean/cruel/whatever: All humans can have a fierce anger and hatred for one another. Fllay uses and utilizes this anger and allows it to lead her.
Well, Fllay is a lot more complex than you suggest. The creators obviously wanted to project that complexity as well. She tries to hurt Kira, but who does she actually end up hurting? She says that she hates Coordinators, but what does she do when she actually meets them? For every action Fllay does, there's three different things going on. First, how she wants others to perceive her action; second, what she thinks she is accomplishing; third, what the effect is on Fllay herself. These disparate elements constantly tear away at her until her self-induced illusions fall away. There is a heck of a lot more going on than a mere representation of "anger and hatred for one another". However, you are quite right in saying that Fllay lets her anger lead her.

Quote:
And you are grasping at belittlement as your only way to counter me?
Not at all; I was merely try to express how tenuous your argument was. Since you seem to want more details, I'll provide them.

kodachrome, you are quite right that both Fllay and Lacus tried to end the war. However, this is also true for Azrael. So is he the foil for - Lacus or Fllay? How about Kira? Or anybody else who wanted the same thing. Your use of this as an example of a foil simply doesn't work; it looks more like you're just trying to list things that vaguely seem to fit the definition.

Quote:
So if Fllay quit being manipulative and selfish, why did she try to get back with Sai by telling him she never loved Kira and try kill Dearka to gain Miriallia's approval as well as prove just how much she "hates" Coordinators despite just being in a relationship with one? It just shows how she is still so dependent she is - now that Kira is not around, who will pay attention to her? If anything, after Kira "dies" she loses her "effectiveness.
I cannot agree with your analysis. The reason is that Fllay thought that she was still in love with Sai. She simply had to cling onto this belief in order to convince herself that she had fallen in love with Kira. With Kira gone, she had to turn back to what she thought was her "source of comfort". What Kira's "death" accomplished was to force Fllay to confront her own illusions - you may consider this a weakening of her character, but I tend to interpret it as a growing pain.

Quote:
...while Fllay (until the manipulation tables get turned on her) wants battles to continue.

Although she kind of lost that before he died too.
I've always interpreted that as Fllay convincing herself that that was what she really wanted. I don't think that it's her nature at all. She was simply too innocent to understand the ramifications of what was going on.

Quote:
Anyway, there is no point in listing anything else or going into a proper argument with you because you're already very, very set that I am an idiot who can't read, can't think, and who doesn't know what a foil is, and that they are not foils.
That's a bit of a shame, because if you drop some of the flippant comments and get some more logic under your belt, I think that discussing things with you will be quite interesting. Even respected literary scholars can have heated differences of opinions with each other, so I don't see why we have to behave differently.

If my mannerisms offend you, then I apologize. I'm sort of that way with everyone, so you shouldn't take things too personally.