View Single Post
Old 2013-04-24, 16:00   Link #814
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, yeah. Car accidents are the most likely way for children to die. (The chart defines a "child" as anyone from 0-19yrs. gotta watch for that, I've found bogus statistics that define anyone under 25yrs as a child to hype numbers, or say "child" when they should be saying pre-pubescents)

http://www.childdeathreview.org/nati...talitydata.htm
Look at all of the numbers involving firearms. Add all of those numbers up and you're second only to motor vehicle issues. You're telling me that you'll only accept pediatricians asking about firearms in the home after they ask about all of the other things you mentioned? Seatbelt advice is supposed to be given but it is often not, although we anticipate that the threat of being given a ticket by police for those issues and the reminders to buckle up that line many roads takes care of many cases. Aside from having your physician ask about it, the only reminder to safely store your firearm seems to be news stories about someone else's kid killing themselves or someone else with a gun that they got their hands on. Who wouldn't prefer to have that last reminder become a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Doctors are not scientists. I have to repeat that a lot. They also are not necessarily great statisticians. They're often not even very good at pharmacology though they're the ones who write prescriptions. They have biases, like anyone. None of that writes doctors as a group off but it means doctors vary.
I don't disagree but I also don't see what this has to do with physicians asking about firearms as a part of a health and wellness check.