View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 19:17   Link #92
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
There lies the problem. If you do not have the original uncompressed version to compare, you will never know.

From online research, a passable 1080p rip with compressed audio comes up to between 7gb-10gb in size. A good blu-ray rip that has identical video to those on disc will take anything from 10gb-20gb, that is after compressing the audio. Not quite as lightweight as expected. But this is the standard for today, and I believe there will be a better compression format that offers a better size to quality ration in the future. Still, by then, the media companies will have something even better to offer on disc. DVD used to be best, but compression tech and transfer speed had caught up with it. That is why we have Blu-ray.

In all, if you are not picky about video or sound quality, go for the online digital format. If you are one of those who wants the best in the sights and sounds, go for disc.
Can't really speak for images, but I fail to see how Blu-rays present any improvement when it comes to sound. You can't tell the difference between wavs and mp3s anyway. The same goes for blu-ray audio.

I do recall seeing some demonstrations of blu-ray in my local hardware store. Compared to my rips, I wasn't impressed.

Anyway, with a good internet connection you can easily download 10-20 gb(My friend could pull that down in an hour, and so could even stream it), and the hard drive space to hold it is now super cheap. Those numbers would be too much for my terrible connection though.

If you compare to the alternative, of paying money, and spending several hours finding it in the shops, or waiting a week while waiting for it to be delivered after ordering online, a 10-20gb rip still comes out ahead, so long as your internet connection is good enough.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote