View Single Post
Old 2009-04-19, 20:48   Link #60
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
Well, the US is always free to start any war on the other side of the globe as they reckon that enemy missiles and rockets will never reach them. But how about Japan, Russia and China, if NK's sole intention is to cause much more shit instead of winning?

I find it not very responsible to continue taking a US-centric worldview to exclude the interests and security of all other stakeholders, when the non-US side will obviously be much more badly affected when shit hits the fan. It is cool to talk random politics comfortably in front of your computer desk, but it is not as simple as Red Alert where you don't need to care much about collateral damage.

Realistically, I find it impossible for China and Russia to completely stay out, if the scale of US operation is equivalent to the size of those against Iraq and Afghanistan.

It may be a good idea to think from Russia, China and Japan's point of view. Hypothetically, if Cuba got rampant and Russia sent troops over there, even if the US was told/threatened to "stay out", you wouldn't expect her to gladly sit and watch either, would you?

The whole issue is so complicated and involves so many stakeholders is the very reason why the talks involve six parties, instead of merely two or three.
If any kind of conflict broke out it would be really hard to pin the blame on anyone other than North Korea. Their leadership seems to delight in pissing off the international community. I can understand their position as far as the UN is concerned but they tend to display an amazing lack of tact when dealing with them. There's a right way and a wrong way to tell the UN where they can stick it and how far, they tend to go for the wrong way