View Single Post
Old 2011-12-21, 03:09   Link #125
Vena
Carpe Diem

Frankly, I'm not sure I understand the fascination with the animation from either side of the argument. How is it either a boon or a detriment? I feel like the discussion is revolving much the same way a discussion about just how wet water is would end up going. Yes, the show has QUALITY issues but that's not an issue limited to this show and its not rampant, but aside from that? Adults look like adults, kids look like kids, and the crazy action figure toys flying through space? They look like crazy action figure toys flying through space.

Water? Its wet.

I understand that its a visual medium but I do not take that to mean that it must also conform to a very specific art style, otherwise why would I have watched: Madoka, FLCL, or any other slightly off the wall show that was quite good despite of its unconventional looks. A visual media, to me, implies that the *power of the delivery* lies predominantly in the visual and, often, built upon and complimented by the other immediate sensory stimulus: the audio. This then amounts to choreography, direction, and fluidity, but not necessarily on style unless your personal taste just turns you off from the product. In the same way as one does not judge a book by merely the font used to type it. (Yes, this is how absurd this argument sounds to me right now.) If the show has good direction, good fluidity, and good choreography, then from the purely critical angle of saying "Its in the visual media then it must be X" it will satisfy all critical X.

If you now want to break down the show and ask is the direction good, is the choreography good, etc, then feel free. I'll even agree that much of AGE has thus far not been well directed or choreographed but I'm not going to lambaste the show merely for its choice of font. The reason I'm giving this show its due chance, though, has nothing to do with Gundam as I could careless about the cover of the book, and everything to do with the glimpses of brilliance I've seen in how it has as a visual media, handled the direction & choreography of certain crucial scenes for certain characters, and because I happen to find some of the characters and their roles interesting. They have shown to me that they can make powerful scenes, they have also shown me that they can fail at it miserably.

I'll wait until the end to actually give a full opinion, otherwise it's just jumping the gun and playing off personal bias.