Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarthingRedFox
I hate to be a jerk and all
but, The MPEG4 trend isn't working

Nanami-chan is an example of what i'm talking about

plus the MPEG4 format too complex for the common fansub viewer to understand
The MPEG-4 trend has been working since circa 2001 (the video coding that is, the container has failed to take off for reasons described in my previous post, mostly cause people want to stick with AVI). And what is so complex about installing Haali's splitter and CoreAVC or FFDShow? I really don't see complex as an excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWolf
and as ever: as long as it works....
sadly mkv AND mp4 both still need better tools to work on for editing.
(at the current time they really dont ahve much than really low level edit capabilities, and no, vdubmod doesnt count)
That sounds like an arguement of an AVI/VfW fanboy, don't dissapoint me DeathWolf
Well as for editing; I quite agree that using XviD VfW and the likes for workraws is much easier than dealing with H.264, but as a final output format, I don't see what is wrong with H.264, or where editability comes into it. Fansubs are for watching, not NLE :/

Besides, if by editing you mean extracting a chunk to send to a friend, both MKVtoolnix and MP4box have sufficient abilities to do such. The only thing lacking from these is a preview window (well you can use vdub to get your times).

You know as well as I do that editability and ASP isn't terribly flexible unless you are cutting on Intra frames (which IMO shoots down the arguement of editability, if you want editability use an Intra only codec).

Maybe I'm missing something to this editability arguement that sometimes crops up, please elaborate