View Single Post
Old 2012-10-27, 14:40   Link #15
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I probably don't have as much to say about this week's episode as I sometimes do. The episode confirms a lot of what we were speculating about last week regarding the various game systems, and progresses the connection between Kirito and Lyfa (along with revealing Lyfa's real life identity... a not-very well kept secret to be sure). I also liked the role that Yui is playing here. The continued development of the world of ALO was quite fun.

I think people who dislike the "knight saving the princess" trope/motif will have a field day with this one, as Kirito's "hero complex" is on full display. (His joke at the start about him having rescued the princess Lyfa and wanting her to run into his arms is so... ) And likewise, although Asuna (Titania) is being observant (I think she probably caught most of that code, and now understands most of what's going on), she's in a position right now where she can't do much (yet?). Our villain remains comically over-confident, and not terribly bright, but obviously it works to our favour. He has the ability to change/insert memories, and is in every position where he could take Asuna by force... but he seems to want to defeat her will without "assistance" -- befitting an ego-maniac. (He may have all the technology to do whatever he wants, but the main thing he wants is for people to recognize him as being powerful on his own.) So just like he basically revealed his plan to Kazuto assuming he could do nothing to stop him, he reveals his whole plan to Asuna assuming the same. As Asuna asks "Are you insane?"... and yes, he basically is. It seems like marrying Asuna and taking over the family business are more items on his ego-checklist; Asuna's resistance makes him want the power trip of actually winning her over even more. (He says he doesn't want her as a doll, but he basically does -- he just wants the "satisfaction" of having her turn that way without him having "cheated".)

Should also say that I liked how the thing that triggered Lyfa's desire to help Kirito was when she looked in his eyes and saw the same look as she saw Kazuto give in real life. Obviously she doesn't realize what's going on yet, but to me it lent a bit of credibility as to why she might find herself drawn to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
On the other hand, Lifa's identity wasn't really a surprise, considering the seiyuu (Taketatsu Ayana) and the Ending, although I'm more and more concerned of a very likely scenario with a fake triangle, involving Suguha as Lifa, falling in love with Kirito, then utterly crushed once she learns that he is actually her brother. Frankly, I sure hope it won't be the case, but her flustered reaction as both Lifa and her normal selves indicate clearly there is already some seed of romance, which will lead to the very predictable ugly drama...
Personally, I think the author won't be able to resist having Sugaha basically having her love thwarted twice by Asuna. I'd be personally shocked if this isn't a major theme here. I guess I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment for liking stories that feature heartbreak... but I'm not dreading it so much. (Of course, I don't know know what's going to happen, so novel readers please don't spoil me!!!!)

(Edit: Oh yeah, they also revealed in the episode that the game of ALO has been running for about a year, which means that it started before the people in SAO were set free. So that also answers some questions that were raised before.)

(Edit 2: I also almost forgot -- this is one of the only times in the whole show that they actually showed any perspective other than Kirito's for any extended period of time.)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-27 at 15:09.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote