Thread: Licensed Mouretsu Pirates
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-29, 07:48   Link #686
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Please don't attempt to put words in my mouth, because you're not even in the ballpark here.

When you have characters behaving exactly the same in every situation, without even a break in facial expression, there's no sense of consequence for anything that happens. There's no sense that the characters relationships have changed at all, because they haven't changed at all. I don't care about action - I'd be very happy to watch a slice-of-life about space pirates. But a good slice-of-life needs character dynamics to be really engaging. It needs to portray how the characters feel, both in general and about each other. And those things need to evolve in reaction to the events around them. I'm just not seeing any of that whatsoever here, at least not yet.

As I said, the major hangup that's preventing me from going from "like" to "love" with this show is that it's an emotional flatline. No matter what happens, nothing with the characters ever changes. Rather than slice-of-life, right now it's closer to a documentary. Sooner or later that's going to change - I mean, you'd think it has to - but there's a limit to how long characters can be two-dimensional before any development they do get seems artificial. We're not at that point yet, but it's not all that far off.
Emotional change needs a catalyst though, otherwise it just feels artificial. Having people bounce between emotions for the sake of having them bounce between emotions and look like they're growing is a flaw many shows and movies have, and usually ends up with them returning to the status quo because it was all artificial to begin with.

This coming battle could prove to be nice catalyst. A bit of facing your own mortality is always a nice way to pump out some emotion. Though I would like to avoid the usual drama that accompanies it. Realistic though it may be, having characters mope around for several episodes is not my cup of tea.

Then again, as it's the first battle I wouldn't at all be surprised if it ends up being a crushing victory to show how awesome the crew of the Odette is.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-01-29 at 08:07.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote