Thread: Food you cook
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-20, 22:17   Link #140
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I built up my cooking skills via trial and error. I can't stand recipes. They're so memory work and don't really help when you want to improvise something new.

I'm personally against learning to cook via recipes.
Following recipes can yield great results, but of course, you don't have to follow all recipes exactly as they instruct you. Most recipes I follow I end up changing at least a couple things around and improvising with them.

Recipes are great for cooking. You just have to do your own thing with them when you feel that is the best thing to do. Give yourself that flexibility. Recipes can be guidelines if you just want that from them. Often times it is best to follow technical instructions (such as how to cook things and/or how long to cook things), but for things like the ingredients to use, for an example, it is totally a good idea to be flexible with those things and have the ingredients to your liking.

Also, following a recipe in tandem with improvising is not only normal, it is how so many variations to a dish and new recipes are born.