View Single Post
Old 2013-01-27, 09:58   Link #123
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
They follow the basic visual novel format... character sprites on a background image with text scrolling at the bottom or on screen, and music.

How is that not a visual novel??
I'm not talking about 'moe graphics or focus on love', there's a significant difference in gameplay between a standard, run-of-the-mill visual novel and a game like Ace Attorney. Let's take, say, Little Busters. It has its baseball and fighting minigames (which aren't even relevant for the outcome of the plot anyway) and story/route related choices, sure, but you don't have to actively go to places, speak to people, piece your clues together, press a witness, reason and present evidence. This, I believe, is why Ace Attorney worked well in the West. You don't feel like you're reading a book with visuals and sound. You feel like you're actually playing a game. I know someone that ended up being disappointed in Corpse Party Book of Shadows because it 'felt like reading a visual novel' compared to the first episode, Blood Covered.

If you say that you feel like playing a game, with actual gameplay, while reading something like Saya no Uta too it becomes a mere matter of different point of view, that's fine, I won't be able to argue anymore. At any rate, this is mine.
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote