View Single Post
Old 2009-06-26, 01:03   Link #92
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
Before the explosion we were shown a scene of where Pell was, way above the clouds. So, I have never considered the risk of people getting hurt with that explosion, as long as the bomb was in the sky.
I wasn't talking about the people of Alabasta. I was talking about Pell, and of course I knew that the bomb exploded in the air. That was the whole point so that he could save the people within the vicinity of where it was placed.

Quote:
Secondly, Crocodile might have given an approximate number based on the strength of the explosive, if not tried before, or if there is a fault in the process, it may just be a misrepresentation of the truth.
A person as calculating as Crocodile making such a statement certainly does have credibility. Oda puts in these statements for a reason, you know.

Quote:
Onto the topic of Pell surviving that. In a matter of seconds, with that heavy bomb he was able to fly a few kilometers above the ground, so he might have found the time to escape just in time the center of the explosion. For the rest, his transformed state may be the reason for his survival.
Nothing but speculation on your part here. What we see in the manga though, is that the bomb actually blows up while he's still holding on to it (Chapter 208 - Pages 17 - 18). This evidence suggests he should have died.

Quote:
Regarding lightning strike. Obviously it was not as strong as Enel was stating. All the other characters that were struck by his lightning, even a weaker character like Usopp survived the accident. So, there is no reason to expect any less for Pagaya. It would be a problem for Pagaya not to survive while Usopp, Sanji, Zoro, and the others survive. Yes, the characters are that much durable.
The strawhats are exceptionally resilient because they are the main characters. They can't die, at least not until they achieve their dreams. And once again, Pagaya (thank you for stating his name for me) is only a normal human. Enel's lightning strike should be able to kill a mere ordinary human, unless you're trying to suggest to me that it is really that weak.

Quote:
Have you forgotten that Mr.3 survived getting his water sucked out of his body. In normal sense, he should have a brain damage, yet he survived as if nothing happened. And before that, have you forgotten the baseball bat Usopp ate on his head and his brain? Have you ever known a real life human who can survive that? You should not evaluate the damages using worldly views. Especially if you are following One Piece from the beginning, those endings should not come as a surprise.
Nope. I haven't forgotten any of this. I know that significant characters in One Piece (note that I said significant, as in characters that actually matter) have a ridiculously high fortitude for taking damage and abuse. Cannon fodder, on the other hand (such as the aforementioned Pagaya), are no where near as impervious, as can be seen from many examples throughout the story so far.

I'm getting the impression that you're using feats of resilience to justify Oda's decisions to not kill off his characters, but really now such feats can only go so far as an excuse. If what you say is really Oda's excuse for the lack of death in this story (which I highly doubt considering that he himself has stated he prefers to crush the dreams of the wicked as a means of teaching them a lesson, not to mention he doesn't like to kill off his characters), there would be absolutely no sense of mortality. For a story about pirates that involves venture, that sounds highly unlikely and completely goes against the potential dangers a pirate would indisputably encounter.

What I'm telling you here is, there would never be any concern or foreboding danger that someone could die, if the resilience you speak of is always there to keep anyone alive. And we know this is not true since Oda has killed off characters in the past, so he's simply just choosing not to kill off his characters in the present time. Tell me, what makes a character who died in the past any different than a character in the present time line, durability wise? Whether the character is from the past or present, they are all still Oda's creations and are subjected to the sames rules of mortality.