View Single Post
Old 2012-06-17, 16:59   Link #9587
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
As for the anime sales they are honestly doing terrible, seriously it's like the third or fourth worst selling anime of the season and this is even including the daytime anime aimed at general audiences which doesn't need to sell BDs/DVDs (which Medaka is not). The current preorders are at somewhere like ~500 with final projected sales barely cracking 1000. If you want a scale for that consider an average anime sells about ~3000, ~5000 is about the baseline for what you could consider successful, ~10,000 is where you generally see the real successes of a season standing out, and ~50,000+ is the realm of commercial monsters like K-On, Gundam, and more recently Madoka and *monogatari.

Regarding the manga rankings I wouldn't quite call them "great" but Medaka Box has certainly re-entered "safe" territory with the conclusion of the previous arc and the start of the new one. Unfortunately, the rankings up to this point only reflect up to ch. 143 which means they're just about to reach the point when Nishio cut out all of the popular characters including Kumagawa and Ajimu. If you really want to talk about "Zenkichi Box's" popularity I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait and look for the next couple months' rankings.
For a manga that consistently in the bottom 5 they are great, lets not beat around the bush here, Medaka's always had shit rankings if it manages to consistently stay in the middle it may as well be great for it. It's I highly doubt it's only up to 143 it doesn't make sense to release rankings 8 weeks behind while having none of the proceeding chapters affecting those rankings. 4-8 weeks sounds more reasonable for the rating area. I mean really what would be the purpose of ordering the manga based on popularity when the ranking is that old?

8 weeks only comes from when they start rating new manga and they probably did that to give it a grace period rather than all manga being rated that way.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote