View Single Post
Old 2011-11-26, 10:29   Link #93
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
I'm pretty sure they didn't set the bar that high
Yeah, really. I really never understood why those who reviewed Ranma 1/2, like that Superhero of Anime Critics, talked about how the relationship between Akane and Ranma felt "so true and sincere". If I wanted to name a good romantic development from vintage series, it is Kimagure Orange Road and Maison Ikkoku, but those are not harem. Love Hina, the anime, just drifted toward more "bizarre" stuff toward the end, and iirc did not exactly solve the romance between Naru and Keitaro. I am strictly speaking about the anime here. A criticism I'll hold against those "Grumpy Old Men" is that when they mourns the decline of anime when they got much better stuff with Sailor Moon or Ranma 1/2, I tended to call them out on it as in that the animated series were not stellar and that the manga are much superior. Then, guess what happens? "Oh yeah I meant Sailor Moon/Ranma 1/2 the manga!" Ok, guys, you talked about anime not manga, make up your mind folks, and admit that you viewed those series through strange colored nostalgia goggles.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote