View Single Post
Old 2013-04-24, 00:11   Link #45
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
So I used to take fencing for about three years when I was in college, it was fun as hell, the third year, in addition to using the french foil and saber, I was introduced to the Spanish rapier & dagger style. . .

the Spanish rapier is a long ass sword you hold in your right hand ,while you hold the dagger in your left, and you walk in a circle pattern around your opponent. . .

It is pretty bad ass.

Once I went to my teacher's masters master class he was an old Spanish dude name "Maestro Martinez" kinda looked like the dude in game of thrones who taught the girl.

anyway, there was a couple demonstrations, and one was cloak and dagger.

this dude was so badass, he was able to wtfpwn the other masters who were under him, with nothing but a cloak. . . A CLOAK! I would disarm them easily, then you the dagger for the finishing blow.

Moral of the story? do NOT fuck with old Spanish dudes. . .they'll kick your ass with a BLANKET!
Oh wow, I didn't expect to meet a classical fencer here. If I am not mistaken, you lucky lot have actual living lineages unlike HEMA.

Yeah cloaks as an offhand are really cool. Great for throwing your opponent off balance by obscuring vision. Don't know anyone who actual does a cloak and rapier style though. (But there is a guy in my HEMA school who did Spanish and Italian rapier.)

Are you still learning the style by any chance?
And how did you find progressing from sport fencing to classical?

Quote:
So that means Kenshin's ultimate technique is kind of useless in reality huh?
Well, just remember that Iaido was made for the context of dealing with ambushes. The draw cut wouldn't be useless, but if you are in a fight you would want to keep the blade out.

Quote:
How did you come to that conclusion ? I don't mean about Kenshin...

Its a technique used for certain situations- its not a one move that fits all situation, but you can say that for just about any technique.

It comes down to the practitioner and whether he or she has the skill to make use of it.
So much this.

When it comes down to it, it's the ability of the practitioner in a fight that keeps them alive.

Last edited by theflyingturkey; 2013-04-24 at 00:53.
theflyingturkey is offline   Reply With Quote