View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 11:33   Link #1280
Akumasama
Feminist

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
If you are talking about the POV and how the monologue is reported, it is 3rd person narration style and is less common in light novels (which often uses 1st person POV and employs POV switching in properly demarcated segments), though series like Mahouka, Shana, SAO and a bunch of other relatively better written novels use 3rd person narration. However, the way the monologue is reported is indeed a little unique, I should say. There's simply too much of them for a 3rd-person narration style, and it keeps jumping from person to person which can make reading jarring sometimes. The writing can also be very curt at times, but that's my personal opinion though.
Well I occasionally found the POV tending to 1st person, like once in every 60 lines or so. Though yep, it's as you say, most of it is 3rd person.
Somehow I can't pinpoint the feeling, it sounds like a novice would write, or a bit cluttered thought process. I wasn't really the humanities/literature type and usually only read scholarly articles so I maybe a bit wrong. Besides, I don't read too many Japanese LNs in their raw form unless absolutely necessary.