View Single Post
Old 2004-06-25, 16:02   Link #10
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

This is my personal opinion....I don't find overrated animes bad, I just find then garnering more attention from equally as good, if not better, series/movies/ovas/mangas/whatever..

5) DB and it's Incarnates - It's not a bad series but the fact that it is one of the first to oversaturate the American market with bad dialog and slashed story, it's given the wrong impression to people about other animes.

4) Love Hina - I find it overrated, it is very different than the manga, but I still liked the anime just the same.

3) Naruto - The fanboyistic nature of this series scares me, I found nothing special about this series and I couldn't even finish watching it. It was so non-descript that I don't even remember the story and it's only been like a month since I stopped watching.

2) Gundam series - Much like DBZ and the like, this has really started to turn into the same exact story just rehashed and made to look better than the previous. There's nothing really special about it anymore and it's moved so far away from the original theme that I cannot sit down and watch it.

1) Akira - Oversaturating the market and overhyping an anime that, while it being good, doesn't do much on helping the watcher understand WTF is going on. Not 3 years ago I remember seeing 5 commercials for the DVD on TV within a 10min period, before Akira there was no such thing as an anime commerical. I do appreciate the fact that it helped mainstream anime to the US market, it just wasn't a compelling enough movie to watch.

On the other-hand, I somewhat agree that KGNE is overrated, but I also feel it's underrated for the same reasons. It's a great drama and a lot of people (myself included) have placed it as the best, but it's also go a unique story that is rare for anime. The fact that, as I said in another thread, KGNE spoiled me is why I think of it as such a great anime, while I neglect other equally good ones. So it's my ying and yang when it comes to that