View Single Post
Old 2010-09-11, 09:19   Link #251
Nayim

@KOapps

That's okay, I know how you feel when you think this is not very animeish . Even i was "WTH? what just happened" after watched the trailer.

Based what i see from this show, i will say something odd but actually it's Japan copying America copying Japan copying America. The modern manga(as in the last few decades) were inspired by Disney. Regardless, think about it, Japanese anime started pre-WW2 and influenced Disney in his works. It's not really fair to say which copied which...however, anime and American cartoons have distinctive styles. that's the thing, this kind of style might be anywhere in the west, but it has been a LONG time since something like this was made in japan.just the fact that the japanese copied us for once made it original and of course, the fact that the story and characters is so not what the normal otaku in japan wants make it even more interresting. Take a example like Astroboy, Doraemon, The Big-O, Giant Robo, they might like anime-ish but it remind them as western-ish.

I don't think people should be so quick to criticize it as a "rip off." Actually I feel it's a parody of the American trend of cartoons--taking what's popular these days and putting a Gainax spin on it--Invader Zim, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi, and [insert random Cartoon Network toon here]. Of course, Gainax designs the characters with slightly better form and artistic foundation (their own taste) and throws in the blatant sex references for extra laughs.

So it seems funny that Gainax is parodying the American attempt to emulate their own Japanese style. In a way, it's not parodying necessarily to make fun of us, but I think Gainax shows a sort of appreciation for what the Western/Anime hybrid style has become by creating this show. They are just trying something different. But I don't doubt there is a marketing side (catering to the US), too.

In other word, THIS IS GAINAX afterall.
Nayim is offline   Reply With Quote