Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-11-05, 18:55   Link #2287
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Not sure, but probably the latter. I've made it through the third track, but no sign of a real plot yet. Onashia shows up in a bathhouse, though
You know I didn't really expect that onsens are that important even in drama CDs. Onashia's entrance is accompanied by the track that is played often in the anime she is around - Simulacrum Miyakuni which makes the encounter funnier, as already mentioned by Yaya-chan. I think this moment is followed a minute or so later by a conversation about who has the biggest...something. Seems like quite a fanservice track to me. And I have no idea why they start announcing different ri-maajons, as if in a battle with someone.

Quote:
As for the "high-level culture," I really want anime to have better recognition, if not as a high-level culture.
I don't know about other countries, but there is a widespread tendency in my country that people think away anime fans to be abnormal regarding their sexual tastes.
Well, in my country anime is considered to be just cartoons for kids which probably is the better option but still... Is this prejudice you are talking about caused more by the existence of hentai anime or by moe fanservice-full mainstream anime? Anyway, I sadly don't see a way for this prejudice to go away easily, even if some anime movie somehow won an Oscar in the best picture category.

Quote:
I see "High level culture" as a bit of a sham to fool others or ourselves. The meaning one person gets from War and Peace another person might get from the Bible, Calvin and Hobbes, or Pokémon. It is not my place (and in fact, quite impossible) to judge people's minds, ages, experiences, or anything else based on what they like or don't like, what they see or don't see. After all, we live in a cool world, where a plastic ring can be worth more than a $10,000 jewelry collector's dream.

I don't care if other people think Simoun or One Piece or ARIA is or isn't "high culture." If they give me inspiration or enjoyment or thought provocation, that's good enough for me. All three of these titles have given me all three reactions. Call me childish all you want. You'd be right. And I hope you're still right when I'm 50 or 60...otherwise, I'll have let the world wash something important out of me
I haven't watched One Piece but apart from that, I couldn't agree more.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote